Checklist: international PhD student leaving Ghent University

Leaving Ghent...


  • In the event of private accommodation, contact your landlord to terminate your housing contract. If applicable, arrange for your deposit to be refunded. Do this well in advance and check your contract.
  • Inform the Student administration of your address abroad (for the purpose of sending your diploma,...) or formally stop your studies.
  • Visit your PhD supervisor and/or department and make sure that you have fulfilled all the obligations relating to your stay, and that you have received all relevant information and documents.
  • Do not forget to close your bank account. If this account is used to receive payments from Ghent University, do not close it until all payments have been made. If necessary, make arrangements with your bank.
  • Deregistration process: go to the city administration to inform that you are leaving (use the form provided online) and hand in your residence card.
  • If applicable, inform your health insurance well in advance that you are leaving the country.
  • Make or confirm your travel plans. Check regulations on bringing belongings to your home country. You are advised to insure your luggage before your journey and label it clearly. Check your luggage weight against your airline's allowances.
  • Inform other contacts/institutions that you are leaving (for example: terminate phone/internet connection). Check your contract for the period of notice.
  • Register with the university's or faculty's Alumni Office.